Ten surprising ways to boost your wellbeing in Forestry England Bedgebury National Pinetum and Forest.
With a recent study by Forest Research revealing that 95% of people identified positive mental wellbeing, escape, freedom, fun and enjoyment as key benefits of getting active in the forest, we take a look at Bedgebury National Pinetum and Forest’s top 10 experiences to get you moving in nature that you may not have discovered yet!
- Yoga or Pilates– Step away from your normal routine and try Yoga or Pilates with a guided instructor at Bedgebury Pinetum. Embrace the challenge of trying something new and feel the sense of achievement from stepping outside your comfort zone. The National Pinetum is the perfect place to relax and unwind, one of our favourite spots is underneath the world’s tallest coast redwoods!
- Nature spotting – Connecting with nature is proven to benefit our well-being, and it’s great fun too! The National Pinetum is home to 12,000 specimen trees, making it a beautiful setting for peaceful walks. We are soon to be launching our partnership with the Ramblers charity to offer Wellbeing walks, so do keep an eye out for these!
- Ecstatic Dance – come and join us for our new event at Bedgebury! Through movement and dance you will let go of any inhibitions, dancing barefoot that is wild and free and among the trees of the National Pinetum.
- Join a running group – at Bedgebury we have 2 different running groups which are sure to keep you fit and smiling. These are both facilitated by a qualified running coach who will guide you through a session in our beautiful pinetum!
- Forest Runner – be a forest runner and join us in our running series across the nation’s forests this autumn. The profits from Forest Runner sales help us grow, shape and care for your local forest, now and for future generations. Try out trail running with either a 5k or 10k, it’s an experience not to be missed.
- Nordic Walking – a fun, full body exercise that’s easy on the joints and suitable for all ages and fitness levels. It has the benefit of burning 20-40% more calories than normal walking and is a great opportunity to meet people trying something new!
- Canicross – Canicross is the perfect way to get fit with your dog, it increases your bond and also offers significant health benefits. From elevating your mood to promoting good sleeping habits, owning and exercising a dog is good for you! Canicross events have become hugely popular, sell-out events – be quick to book the next 5k or 10k friendly race at Bedgebury National Pinetum and Forest.
- Mountain biking – whether you’re an experienced rider, looking to join a group or just want to go out for a leisurely cycle – the national pinetum has it all for you. We have an experienced mountain bike guide who leads a women’s only group, a beginner’s class as well as a general forest fitness 2-hour session. Or, if you simply want to test out the routes on your own, our onsite cycle shop will help you find your perfect bike.
- Gruffalo Sculptures – Bedgebury National Pinetum is fairly big, covering some 128 hectares and the six large wooden Gruffalo sculptures are hiding amongst the trees. The Gruffalo, Fox, Mouse, Snake, Squirrel and Owl are spread out across the pinetum.
Go Ape – built for the whole family, this is the ultimate tree top experience of wobbly bridges, intricate crossings and an awesome zip wire finale in the breath taking scenery of Kent’s arboretum Bedgebury National Pinetum